Clear Creek County Bridge
Acting as CMGC for Colorado Bridge Work
ABOUT THE PROJECT
Ulteig was selected by CDOT to complete the design engineering services for Region 3 I-70 F-13-S Minor Structure. The project is located on I-70 over Forest Service Road between milepost 210.50 and milepost 211.50 in Summit County. The preliminary purpose of this project is to produce a new structure that meets 100-year design life criteria and accommodates two-way traffic below I-70 while meeting vertical clearance requirements.
Work on the bridge structure included structural design, roadway design, hydraulics evaluation to ensure maintained storage and capacity, geotechnical recommendations to minimize risks and assess mitigation requirements for adjacent landslides, NEPA process, ASCE Quality Level D Subsurface Utility Engineering investigations, and stakeholder and public communication.
Challenges and solutions:
- This project will require multiple phases to construct the project in a very short construction season.
- Solution: Use alternate phasing solution that can reduce the project time by 30 days and reduce construction to 2 phases
- Maintaining traffic capacity on I-70 during construction
- Minimizing EMS response times, as this minor structure serves as a critical turn-around spot for emergency vehicles.
- Existing soil is boulders and non-cohesive, increasing the probability of landslides.
- Solution: Partnering with BGC with intimate local experience to design cost effective solutions to mitigate landslide issues.